Legal and compliance

We keep on top of everything and then check again to make sure we have it covered. Your savings are too important to behave in any other way.

Portafina Investment Management Ltd

Portafina Investment Management Ltd is registered at Affinity House, Beaufort Court, Sir Thomas Longley Road, Medway City Estate, Rochester, Kent, ME2 4FD. Our registered company number is: 10290349

Portafina is the trading name of Portafina Investment Management Ltd .

Portafina Investment Management Ltd permitted business activity includes advising on and arranging pensions.

Our initial investigation into your pension is free and in many cases we can continue to provide full financial advice with no obligation should you need it. We will fully disclose to you, in writing, any fees that may be incurred so that you are able to make a fully informed decision on whether you wish to proceed.

You can contact us by post to our registered office, by telephone on the contact number published on our website, or by email using the email address published on our website.

Portafina Investment Management Ltd is an authorised and regulated firm by the Financial Conduct Authority. Our firm reference number is 754580.

The Financial Conduct Authority is the principle regulatory body for the financial services industry in the UK. They can be contacted at:

The Financial Conduct Authority
12 Endeavour Square
E20 1JN

Telephone: 0207 066 1000

Legal and complaints

We really hope that you are happy with our service, and we will try at all times to do the best we can for you. Sometimes things can go wrong despite everyone’s best efforts, though, and it is important for you to know that you still have a voice should this happen.

If you are unhappy about any aspect of our service then the first thing to do is call us and let us know. We will take you seriously and if we cannot resolve the issue over the phone there and then we will dedicate a member of the team to stay in contact with you while we try and sort it out.

If for some reason we cannot come to a resolution that you are happy with then you also have separate recourse to the Financial Ombudsman Service, who can independently look at the issue for you: